Chubby Hubby Bars
This is one of those must make now kinda treats. Pretzels + cookie + peanut butter cups + caramel + chocolate = awesome sauce bar treats that you will love!
Another goodie that I saw on pinterest while I was pinning away. When I went to the blog that had it, I saw that it was pretty rad too and added it to my list of blogs to check out often.
It starts off like any cookie bar—by making a basic cookie dough. The butter and sugar are creamed and then goes in the eggs and such. It looks kid of curdled, but comes together once the dry is added in.
Before you bake the cookie, mix in some mini peanut butter cups and chopped up pretzels.You could skip this part, but it would be sad if you did. Press it into the bottom of a pan and bake it until it is set and golden brown.
Once the cookies are cooled, the caramel gets to join the party. Melt the caramels and water in the microwave until it is completely melted and spreadable. The melting takes a while, but is easier than using a double boiler.
When the caramel is to a pouring stage, spread it on top of the baked and cooled cookie base. It spreads really easily, but is quite sticky and will burn your finger if you touch it—or so I heard. Pop the pan in the fridge to let the caramel set and then pour and spread the melted chocolate on top. Again, if you skipped this part you would be sad that you did. With the chocolate on top, put it all back in the fridge so it can completely set up and be ready to cut into delicious bites.
I cut the bars into pretty small bites because they are so rich. The bottom is crunchy and gooey all at the same time, the caramel oozes out with every bite and the chocolate topper is the perfect amount on top to kind of hold the whole thing together. Yum. Just yum. These were delish. Hubs loved them and the gang at work gobbled them up and are still raving about them. They are winners all around. Enjoy!!
Chubby Hubby Bars (recipe adapted from www.cookiesandcups.com)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pretzel sticks
- 1 (8oz) bag of Reese’s Mini cups
- 1 (14 oz) bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray a 9×13 pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Beat together your butter and sugars until light and fluffy, approx 1 min.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix until incorporated.
- On low speed add in your salt, baking soda and flour, mixing until just combined.
- Slowly add in your Reeses and Pretzels, mixing until evenly distributed.
- Spread in your prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely
- When cooled, melt your caramels and 2 Tbsp water in a microwave safe bowl stirring every minute until melted.
- Pour over your bars.
- Chill in fridge for 15 minutes to set caramel.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave and spread over caramel.
- Put back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares when ready to serve.